Discovering your true path (posted by: ukorhideja)

Ask anything about anything; I'll do my best to help.

Discovering your true path (posted by: ukorhideja)

Unread postby Admin » Sun 30 May 2010 4:30 pm

Discovering your true path is also posted in: 'Shamanic & Psychic abilities & responsibilities'

First of all many thanks for your so informative website and wonderful music.

I have question.

Since childhood I had a strong interests in Native American Indian lives.

Few years ago, I have chosen to study Anthropology. And from that moment I felt such a strong connection to Native American Indian
(especially North American Indians, and for not understandable reasons - Dakota Indians) culture ,values, people, sacredness, their connection to universe.

I would like to pursue my spirituality along this path and learn the ways of shaman in order to be able to help other people. Firstly, I do understand, that I need to prepare myself for this journey, but I am not sure where to start.

I am not sure if my call is to follow shamanic path or if I just generally have a strong connection to Red Indians maybe because of my past lives.

Is there any way , to discover my true path?

Many thanks,
Mitakuye Oyasin
ukorhideja
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Discovering your true path (posted by: ukorhideja)

Unread postby Sitting Owl » Sun 30 May 2010 4:48 pm

Namaste' ukorhideja

I would have to say that the question you asked in not really all that personal; it is probably the most important question that everyone should be asking, because if everyone knew the answer to that question we (All Our Relations) would be living in harmony with each other, the universe and Great Spirit – God etc.

Now for some, “hopefully”, insightful answer, discussion, advice or whatever comes (again hopefully through me from Great Spirit). Firstly the one major ceremony of the American Indians, particularly the North American plains cultures (Mainly Lakota since their linguistic relatives, the Nakotas and Dakotas have been almost overridden and dominated by the larger and more powerful Lakotas, but that is really irrelevant since they all have the same basic understanding of Great Spirit). The ceremony that is all about asking Great Spirit for the answer to your question is Vision Quest – called Hanblecheyapi (Crying For A Vision).

This ceremony can take many forms and involve many differences, since ultimately, each is uniquely, and individually a personal sacrifice and prayer in humble and sincere request for help from Great Spirit. I have in fact written about this, but have not as yet posted it on my website; I have heaps more to post since I started the hard copy ‘Earth People’ magazine in January 2000, continuing with six issues a year until December 2003. Traditionally Vision Quest is four days and four nights of persistent prayer in request of an answer, without any room for thoughts of eating, drinking etc. (nothing but prayer). However even for most blood natives it is weakened down by allowing some necessities. By rights it would be supervised by an ‘experienced’ Medicine Person who would know what you need and would be guiding you and helping you spiritually during the ceremony (however long that needs to be). Regardless of how long you quest for, when you receive the answer, you are finished and the Medicine Person would help you to fully understand the vision (answer); this would happen in a debriefing type of Sweat Lodge ceremony (there would also have been a preliminary preparatory Sweat Lodge ceremony prior to questing, or more commonly known as: going up the hill, since the Black Hills are the sacred hills where most do their questing).

Now, I honestly believe that you do in fact know your true path (the answer to your question)
“I would like to pursue my spirituality along this path and learn the ways of shaman in order to be able to help other people. Firstly, I do understand, that I need to prepare myself for this journey, but I am not sure where to start.”
However I believe you have started by finding my website, contacting me, and hopefully finding your next steps here. I also believe that your path has been there all the time waiting for you to awaken to it, and that your other choice to study Anthropology was the closest, most related, socially accepted avenue for you to realize your path.

Now for some suggestions for you next step! Firstly I know that every part of this Earth (Mother of ‘All Our Relations’ and giver of manifestation or matter) is sacred and I'm sure that there are some very sacred sites there where you are. Also I’m sure there would be some ‘true’, ‘experienced’ Shamans there too, however I don’t personally know of any and with the expansion of the ‘New Age Super Market of Spirituality and Shamans’ all wanting to make their awakened path their source of income you would need to be very aware and discerning of who you might choose to help you with further stages of your path. In my experience and knowledge, this service as a Shaman or Medicine Person to our people is an extreme sacrifice and is physically (wealthy wise) unrewarding, and can even be a somewhat lonely and difficult journey, but the spiritual and unexplainable rewards are indescribably fulfilling, and we are never alone when we feel the oneness. The more humble we are the more gifts and responsibilities Great Spirit gives us.
Sitting Owl

Return to Ask Sitting Owl